So you’ve been dating your boyfriend for a while and need some excitement. Or, maybe you have just gotten into a little tiff with your boyfriend and want to show him that you really care.
(I’ve tried all of the below ideas with the boyfriend ….. and trust me, they work!)
*Remember ladies*:The following ideas are to show that you truly care for your man. Even if you can’t accomplish the whole ‘plan’ ….a little bit goes a long ways – especially after a love spat. The following suggestions are in no particular order…..If you have your own ‘special’ way to show them you care ….. COMMENT!!
1. MAKE HIM DINNER- Call it ‘old fashioned’ but every man loves a home cooked meal – especially when it’s handmade by the woman he loves. I understand that you may be busy with work during the week … so this may be a good weekend project.
-Find a recipe: Look online (www.foodtv.com- has some really easy recipes for various recipes). Remember: This meal is for HIM. Try to make something that is special to him, or something you know he will like. Don’t try out your new “3 Soy Cheese, Tofu Lasagne” on your meat-and-potatoes boyfriend.
-Find a wine: He will be impressed when you have a bottle of wine ready for him. Make sure the wine compliments your dish. (Rule of thumb: Red Wine – Red Meat, Duck, Goose dishes, White Wine-Chicken, Turkey, Asian Food, Seafood, Light Pasta Dishes). If you remember- try to chill your wine glasses for white wine. (The extra touches will impress him, as well as make the wine taste better!)
-Start cooking the dishes before he arrives…. but make sure you aren’t completely done … Timing is key
-Set the music, start with an appetizer: Doesn’t have to be overly mushy, romantic…. try playing something happy, uplifting- so that he can see that you are enjoying this experience. Start with an appetizer- Don’t have enough time? Just get some bread and heat it up … or maybe some cheese…. doesn’t have to be fancy, just something to occupy his time while you put the finishing touches on dinner.
-Always save room for dessert: Yes, some men don’t have a sweet tooth, but a little ‘dessert’ never hurts. Super easy, yet cute dessert idea: Make mini ice cream sandwiches: Vanilla Wafer cookies (Nilla) and a little scoop of ice cream.. super easy and light!
2. PLAN A DAY TIME HIKE/ PICNIC: After a long week of work, you probably want to spend some time outside. And by going outside I don’t mean – hitting up the mall to go shopping. Spend some quality time with your boyfriend… take a hike.
- Plan ahead: Find a local trail, or if you have a favorite spot (beach, mountain) you can go there! Try to plan the hike when it’s not too hot…. SUNSET time is always ideal.
- Pack for the trip: Suprise him with some snacks, maybe a blanket, a camera, and definitely WINE.
- Tell him that you want to do something outdoorsy and you have it all planned: Trust me, if you are a girly girl and initiate an outdoor hike to your outdoorsy boyfriend he will be IMPRESSED.
- While on your hike: Take time to appreciate it. Don’t rush to the end of the trail, so that you can get it over with. Enjoy the special time together- this is a great time without other distractions (such as cellphones- leave them in your car)… just you, him, and nature.
3. MAKE A MEANINGFUL CD / PLAYLIST – I know this sounds ‘teeny boopy’ but sometimes it’s good to reconnect with your ‘inner child’.
- If you want to STEP IT UP: accompany your CD with a handwritten book of why you picked the songs, what lyrics you liked, and decorate it.
- This is one of those sentimental gifts that you never really expect.
- Couples usually have “special” songs- This is a great way to remind him of those “special” songs.
4. SEND HIM A PICTURE TEXT MESSAGE-No, it doesn’t have to be risque…. it can even be a picture of a restaurant you two enjoy…. it’s always flattering to know that you are on someone’s mind.
5. TRY TO HANG OUT WITH HIS BUDDIES- Just like you want your friends to like him, he wants his friends to like you. So initiate hanging out with them. This is a great way to win points with his buddies too.
- Suggest going to a sporting event, or maybe set up a poker night
- Show your boyfriend that you don’t have to always be the lovey-dovey couple, and you can be the ‘guys’ girl.
- The more approval you get from his buddies, the more he’ll appreciate you
6. BE THE MAN – Ok, not really, duh. But plan a date for you and your boyfriend. Offer to drive, make the reservation…. Most guys enjoy being the ‘planner’ but it’s always nice to be ‘pampered’ even if you are male.
7. PLEASE HIM – Maybe your boyfriend has expressed an intimate fantasy, or you know what gets him going. DO IT. This doesn’t mean – be a porn star- but if you know he enjoys massages – suck it up and give him a massage (and don’t expect or accept one in return). Raise the bar and do something different, something special.
8. LOOK GOOD FOR HIM – GO ALL OUT: Remember when you first started dating… he couldn’t keep his hands off you? Remember when you cared what you looked like around him? Take off your lounge pants, and your sweatshirt. Put on a sexy dress, do your make up, and go out for a drink. Sometimes we let ‘comfort’ turn into ‘laziness’… so put in a little effort and WOW him. He’ll appreciate it.
9. BUY HIM A RANDOM, PERSONALIZED CARD: There are cards for every occasion. Maybe things are perfect and you want to thank him for loving you. Or maybe he’s been having a tough time at work and you want to let him know that you believe in him. Or maybe you two have been fighting and you want to make amends. What ever the situation, you can find a card for it. Even if you think there isn’t a situation – a card can put a smile on his face. Getting him a meaningful card will show that you are thinking about him.
10.LISTEN TO HIM TALK- and keep your yapping to yourself. Ever realize the dynamics of your conversations with your boyfriend? If you are anything like me, it’s probably 70% me, 30% boyfriend (or worse). Guys may not like to gossip as much, but they do like to talk. So, let him talk- and take it in. Listen to him for once. Trust me, he’ll feel better after he is able to vent about work, friends, money, etc.
Again, these are just suggestions. The bottom line is – SHOW HIM THAT YOU CARE. If you don’t have a lot of money, don’t worry. It’s not about buying him things, and getting him extravagant gifts. It’s showing him that you care, that you value him as a person, and that you want to make him happy.
Any other suggestions? We’d love to know!!!