So we can’t all be party planners, or so you think … but it’s much easier than you think! Mammie has put together a few successful surprise parties, and it’s super easy! Surprise parties are a great way to make your loved ones feel special. Surprise parties aren’t always an expensive ordeal either… Here’s your quick guide on “HOW TO THROW A SUCCESSFUL SURPRISE PARTY”
1. Find yourself an accomplice. The middle person who is going to find out information, and help plan the event.
2. Plan a date- Make sure the special boy/ girl is available on the date. Easiest way to find out – ask your accomplice to see if the special person is free on a specific day… Have the accomplice make plans with the special person . For example: When Mammie threw her best friend a surprise birthday party, Mammie had Mammy (accomplice) make plans with her best friend on the day of the party. That way – best friend would never expect anything other than her ‘plans’ with Mammy (accomplice). You don’t want to plan the event too far in advance because the special person may find it suspicious. Ideally try to plan it 2-3 weeks in advance.
3. Pick a venue- Once your accomplice has secured a date- figure out a venue. Easiest way is to have your accomplice plan something where he/she can either take the special person to. For example: Mammy made plans with best friend to hang out during the day and then head home to get ready for dinner. Surprise! happened when they came home. Another example: Have accomplice make dinner plans with special person- and have everyone at that location at least 45 min before. (Saying 45 min will translate to people getting there just on time)
4. Send out the invitations- Best way to send an invitation is via phone. Phone calls will not leak to the special person. However, sometimes we don’t always have their phone numbers. If you don’t have everyone’s phone number- get their email. Best electronic way of sending out invitations are through evites. Go to http://www.evite.com and you can create your own evite. If you aren’t close friends with special person’s friends- find a trust worthy person to be a middle person. For example: When Mammie threw a surprise party for her brother, she had his roommate forward all the evites. This way, you don’t have to worry about forgetting someone. ***MAKE SURE YOU EMPHASIZE THE *SURPRISE* ASPECT***
5. Follow up- Follow up with the accomplice. Follow up with your guests. A week before your event- send out a follow up email. A few days before your event- get a final count. Make sure the plans are still in effect with accomplice and special person. Confirm reservations or accommodations for event night.
6. Day of event: Set everything up with extra time. When you are planning something like this – you want to make sure you give yourself an extra 45 min-1.5 hours- just in case. If you having the event at your residence, or at a residence, make sure you are completely ready before the guests arrive. If you are having the party at a restaurant – try to arrive early enough for decorations. Most restaurants will allow large parties to sit when 1/2 the party is present so make sure you get some people there on time.
7. Right before the accomplice and special person arrive: make sure everyone is in their place. Last thing you want is a straggler to be wandering, or making excessive noise that will ruin the surprise. Have the accomplice text, or call you right before they arrive. That way you can make sure you have people in place.
8. SURPRISE!!!!! Try to have someone there to capture the moment.
*Keep in mind* A surprise party is an event to remember. Make sure you have a camera to capture all the moments. Try to decorate the venue so that your special person will have no doubt in their mind that this was a planned event. Get a blank scrapbook, color pens, and have your guests write a little message while they wait for the big surprise.
The above 8 steps should be able to aid you in planning a surprise party. The key is to have enough time to plan, set up and execute your party. A surprise party is such a heart warming experience. Go the extra mile and get people together and share a special night with those you love. Good luck!